Friday, March 3, 2017

book review #1 - hidden bodies by caroline kepnes

book review #1 (only 19 more to go.  whew!)


ok, so beginning this challenge, I kinda just found some random book lists that had the "most anticipated books of 2017" or the "best of 2017" ... so I wasn't really sure what I was in for when picking up these books!  HA!  I didn't read the backs of books, I just thought they looked interesting and got good ratings ... so I dove in!



hence where we start with hidden bodies by caroline kepnes.  I had NO idea what to expect, but the first page had me captivated and wanting to read more.  



she is a VERY descriptive writer.  she wrote this book in the way that every chapter kept you hanging and you didn't want to put it down.  



the premise of the book was ... well ... different for me.  but that is the whole point of this challenge ... push me out of my "typical book list".  so this was a good book to put me into gear.



HOWEVER ... I can't say I LOVED the book.  it was pretty dark, had a lot of foul language and was very descriptive at times, as I mentioned above, maaaaaaaaybe a little more than I would have chosen.  BUT ... even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the book ... it was quite intriguing and had me from page one.  



I feel as though I keep flip flopping with this particular book ... I didn't love it but it wasn't the worst I read ... it kept my attention, which I feel makes a great writer.  even if you aren't a fan of the entirety of the book ... the writing was good in my opinion.



I don't know that I would particularly recommend the book ... perhaps depending on the person ... but I liked caroline's writing, so I am inclined to read more of her books.



I don't think this book was a fail ... it has definitely kicked started my challenge into full momentum, so I call it a win! HA!  



I feel incredibly contradictory in this post!!  maybe I'm not the best person to review books!!  but if you are reading this ... I'm going to keep reviewing the books I read!!  


let me add ... I found out AFTER the fact that there is actually a book PRECEDING this one :(  which I was completely unaware of ... BAHAHA maybe that will teach me for not reading up on a book before I pick it up!! *face palm*


I am going to give this book a 3 out of 5.  solely for the reason that I liked the writing, because it was captivating, not so much for the content of the book.  



and with that ... I'm on to the next!


much love, b

No comments:

Post a Comment